Bunny Chow is a South African fast food consisting of hollowed out bun or loaf of bread, filled with curries. Popularized by Indians living in South Africa, it’s time to savor this dish of India Diaspora, now in India. It is great to know that the dish is invented by Indians, so definitely you will get Indian taste.
Bunny chow, a hollowed out bread bowl with a spicy, curried filling, is as delightfully messy as it sounds. You can eat every last morsel of this version from Hollywood beats in Durban, including the curry-soaked bread from the bottom and sides. Bunny chow dish can be prepared with both veg as well as non-veg.
· 6 large cloves peeled garlic
· One 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
· 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
· 2 large white onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
· 4 bay leaves
· 2 small cinnamon sticks
· 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
· 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. garam masala
· 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
· 2 1⁄4 lb. boneless mutton or lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
· 2 tbsp. kosher salt
· 3 medium russet potatoes (1 3/4 lb.), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
· Leaves from 12 sprigs fresh cilantro· One 1-pound loaf unsliced white bread, cut crosswise into quarters
1. In a small food processor or mortar and pestle, add the garlic and ginger and pulse or pound until a paste forms. Set aside.
2. In a large (8-quart) Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add the onions, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, and turmeric and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garam masala and 1⁄4 cup of the garlic-ginger paste (reserve any remaining paste for another use); cook for a few seconds, stirring to prevent the spices from burning. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer; let cook for 5 minutes. Add the mutton and salt, stirring to coat the meat in the sauce and distribute the seasoning. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes. Stir in the potatoes and 2 cups water; bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until the meat is tender and potatoes are soft, about 40 minutes.
3. To serve, cut out most of the center of each bread quarter and reserve it whole, making sure to leave some bread at the base of each. Divide among 4 plates and fill the bread bowls with the curry mixture. Garnish with the cilantro, and top or serve with the reserved bread pieces.
If you are interested for opening such amazing South African fast food center, SelectDine is here to help you. Call us or visit our website to know more.
Post a Comment