Bunny Chow is a South African fast food consisting of hollowed out bun or loaf of bread, filled with curries. Popularized by Indians living in South Africa, it’s time to savor this dish of India Diaspora, now in India. It is great to know that the dish is invented by Indians, so definitely you will get Indian taste.
Bunny chow, a hollowed out bread bowl with a spicy, curried filling, is as delightfully messy as it sounds. You can eat every last morsel of this version from Hollywood beats in Durban, including the curry-soaked bread from the bottom and sides. Bunny chow dish can be prepared with both veg as well as non-veg.
· 6 large cloves peeled garlic
· One 3-inch piece peeled fresh ginger
· 1⁄4 cup plus 2 Tbsp. canola or olive oil
· 2 large white onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
· 4 bay leaves
· 2 small cinnamon sticks
· 1 tbsp. ground turmeric
· 1⁄4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. garam masala
· 3 medium tomatoes, chopped (2 cups)
· 2 1⁄4 lb. boneless mutton or lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes
· 2 tbsp. kosher salt
· 3 medium russet potatoes (1 3/4 lb.), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
· Leaves from 12 sprigs fresh cilantro· One 1-pound loaf unsliced white bread, cut crosswise into quarters